Celebrate with Caprese Chicken
Celebrate the end of summer with this recipe for Caprese Chicken, layered with juicy vine-ripened tomatoes, creamy mozzarella cheese, and fragrant fresh basil. This recipe is a quick and easy dinner idea for when you want to keep it simple and only use a couple of ingredients.
The best advice for this recipe to turnout perfectly is to use a good quality non-stick pan, like the American Kitchen 10-inch premium non-stick casserole pan. Seriously, I’ve never used a pan that was as non-stick as this one, and you’ll need it once the mozzarella cheese starts getting melted and gooey in this pan! The non-stick finish means that there’s basically zero cleanup, a benefit that traditional casserole pans don’t have. You’ll also get even and consistent temperatures, meaning you can sear your chicken quickly and evenly, without overcooking them.
If you are lucky enough to have a green thumb, you’re surely loving the amount of fresh tomatoes and basil your garden has been harvesting this season, but if you’re like me and can’t grow a plant to save your life, head to the farmer’s markets and pick up the most gorgeous tomatoes and the most aromatic basil you can find. And if you can score some locally crafted mozzarella cheese or even go all out and make your own, do it! The fewer the ingredients in the recipe, the better quality they have to be and today we are all about quality. Start with incredible ingredients and cook them up in the best non-stick cookware, and you’re on your way to success in the kitchen.
Caprese refers to something that comes from or is in the style of Capri, the gorgeous Italian island off the coast of Naples. Today, we know caprese for its namesake salad of fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella. Take those few ingredients and add chicken – you’ll have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 large vine-ripened tomatoes, thickly sliced
1 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
1/2 bunch fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 3-inch pieces.
- In the non-stick pan, heat the olive oil and sear the chicken on both sides, cooking about 50% through. Remove from pan.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and gently cook the tomatoes by letting them heat through and flipping them.
- Place seared chicken atop tomato slices and season with salt and pepper. Layer with mozzarella and 1/2 of the fresh basil, reserving some for serving.
- Finish cooking in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked. To serve, sprinkle extra fresh basil leaves on top.
Cook’s tip: Make sure all your chicken pieces are of even thickness, so they cook at the same time! The thinner they are, the faster you’ll get dinner on the table.