Beer-steamed Corn with Homemade Honey Citrus Cilantro Butter
Honey, Corn, and Beer - What could be Better?
As much as we love fall, we might love summer produce just a bit more. In a perfect world, we would just take the weather of fall and throw it in with the produce of summer. If only we had some way of controlling this! Sigh, until then we’ll just happily eat our fresh produce until we can no longer find it hanging out at my farmers market.
The best part about corn season is that you can buy it cheap and freeze it up to use for the rest of the year. When it’s dirt cheap, we cannot pass up the opportunity to stock up. Seriously, if you’re not already doing this, you need to run to the store and get it done! Plus, if you’re lucky you can sometimes find frozen ears of corn right in your stores freezer section. That means if you’re not into planning the whole corn-freezer thing you can still indulge!
Now, back to this very specific and very special corn recipe. It’s amazing. We know this post seems dedicated to the corn vs the honey BUT that is only because we haven’t told you about the butter yet. You’re going to go crazy over how delicious this butter tastes. First, we took unsalted butter and combined it with chopped cilantro, honey, lime zest and lime juice. Then we whipped it up with a hand-held mixer until it was combined and 100% awesome in flavor. We also added in a little salt at the end because everything is better with salt. Are we right?
This butter slathered all over this corn is perfection. It’s the perfect balance of buttery indulgence mixed with a hint of sweetness and citrus. Oh, and we're totally forgetting one of the most amazing parts of this recipe! We didn’t just boil my corn the old fashioned way (although, that is totally acceptable) We steamed my corn with beer! We wish it were grammatically correct to have ended that last sentence with 100 exclamation points because we would have. You guys, this is everything you want it to be. It adds just a hint of beer-ness to the corn and takes boiled corn pretty much out of the running for forever.
We know you’re probably wondering how we managed to steam corn but it’s pretty simple. Just set a traditional metal steamer basket into your American Kitchen 8-quart Stainless Steel Stock Pot, fill with 2-3 inches of a water/beer mixture and steam! It’s so simple! Plus because the pot is nice and roomy you can steam all the corn you could ever need! Oh and we know we always mention this, but those stay-cool handles from American Kitchen are a life saver!
Beer steam corn with
honey cilantro lime
5 ears corn, husks removed
1 cup beer (I used Corona)
1 cup water
1 stick unsalted butter
½ lime, zested
½ lime, juiced
¼ cup minced cilantro
1 tablespoon honey
Kosher salt, to taste
1. Add water and beer to the bottom of your pot. You want about 2-3 inches of liquid at the bottom of your pot so add more or less to reach that amount.
2. Add steamer basket into the pot and add corn. If you are doing a lot of corn you can stand it up vertically in the pot (if it’s not too tall because you need to be able to use the lid) so it cooks evenly. Since I only steamed 5 ears of corn it worked well just being placed onto the steamer.
3. Cover the pot with a lid and set the heat to high. Once the water starts boiling steam the corn for about 15 minutes or until fully cooked. Keep an eye on the water and add more if needed. You do not want the pan to boil dry.
4. Once cooked, remove from the pan and serve with honey cilantro lime butter.
1. Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix till combined. Keep cold until ready to use.
Back to Blog