How to Prepare Scallops Perfectly
Choose, sear, plate, and serve scallops cooked to perfection.
How to Choose
Uniformly white scallops with firm, slightly moist flesh
How to Sear
How to do it:
- Rinse your scallops with cold water and pat completely dry with a paper towel.
- Add butter and oil to a 10-inch Premium Stainless Steel Skillet on medium-high heat.
- Salt and pepper your scallops liberally on both sides.
- Once the butter and oil begin to smoke, add your scallops. We're using butter for its full flavor and browning capabilities, and olive oil for its high smoke point. Make sure there is a full inch on space around each scallop as you add them to the pan to avoid over-crowding.
- Sear the scallops for 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Do not flip them more than once or move them around the pan. When you're done, you should see a 1/4-inch golden crust on each side.
How to Plate
Neat, simple plating on white china.
How to Serve
To make scallops sing:
- Add a kick with cayenne Dijon & Brussels sprouts.
- Complement with savory leek ribbons.
- Emphasize the natural sweetness with peperonata.
- Create a creamy base with lemon-parsley risotto.
Shop for stainless steel cookware perfect for scallops and beyond at americankitchencookware.com.
Back to Blog