Steak AuPoivre with Fingerling Potatoes and Asparagus
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Suggested American Kitchen Cookware:
12-inch Covered Stainless Steel Sauté Pan
2 ea. Ribeye steaks (1 ½” thick)
2 tbsp. Coarse ground black pepper
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tbsp. Unsalted butter
2 cups Fingerling potatoes, halved
4 stalks Asparagus, thinly sliced on the bias
1 oz. Cognac or brandy
¾ cup Beef stock or broth
1 tbsp. Pickled green peppercorns, drained, optional
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup Heavy cream
2 tbsp. Gorgonzola cheese, optional
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Season one side of steaks with pepper and salt, pressing pepper into the meat. Let steaks rest for 20 minutes at room temperature.
3. Pre-heat a 12-inch sauté pan over medium heat. Add butter to pan. When butter has melted, add steaks to the pan pepper side down. Add potatoes around steaks. Cook steaks and potatoes for 5-6 minutes or until steak is well seared. Turn steaks over and move potatoes around pan. Sprinkle asparagus slices over steaks. Place pan in pre-heated oven. Roast for 5-6 minutes or until steaks are cooked to medium rare or desired doneness.
4. Remove pan from oven with a hot pad holder and transfer asparagus topped steaks to a plate. Tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes while making sauce.
5. To prepare sauce, add cognac to pan, then place pan back on burner over medium low heat. Ignite cognac with flame, being careful keep your face away from flame. When flame goes out, loosen brown bits from pan with a wooden spatula.
6. Add beef stock, green peppercorns and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer until liquid has reduced by half. Add heavy cream and cook until sauce has thickened and potatoes are tender. Stir in gorgonzola cheese. Remove from heat.
Serve asparagus topped steaks with potatoes and prepared peppercorn