Tandoori Chicken Tacos with Basil Cucumber Slaw
The flavors of India join forces with Mexico to create a unique adaptation of the classic taco. Tandoori yogurt marinated chicken is pan-seared, then sliced thin and piled on grilled flour tortillas with a cucumber, cabbage and basil slaw.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Suggested American Kitchen Cookware:
10-inch Covered Stainless Steel Casserole Pan
2 lg. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups Plain greek yogurt
3 tbsp. Tandoori masala seasoning
2 tsp. Minced garlic
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tbsp. Vegetable oil
1 cup Shredded cabbage
1 ea. Mini cucumber, thinly sliced
¼ cup Shredded carrots
1 ea. Jalapeno, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. Fresh basil, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp. Fine sea salt
8 6” Flour tortillas, grilled or warmed
1. Combine yogurt, tandoori masala seasoning, garlic and salt in a large re-sealable plastic bag. Seal and move bag around in your hands until mixture is well blended. Make small slits in the chicken breasts with a sharp knife, then add chicken breasts to the bag of marinade and seal, removing as much air as possible. Refrigerate 8-12 hours or overnight.
2. Remove chicken breasts from marinade, and discard marinade. Remove excess marinade from chicken breasts by patting them with paper towels.
3. To cook chicken breasts, pre-heat a 10-inch casserole pan over medium-low heat. Add olive oil, then add chicken breasts to pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then turn chicken breasts over. Cover and cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until internal temperature reads 165 with a meat thermometer. Transfer chicken to a plate and let rest for 10-15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
4. While chicken cools, make slaw by combining apple cider vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl. Add sea salt and whisk vigorously until thickened. Add cucumber, carrots, jalapeno and basil. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
5. While slaw chills, pull chicken with hands or two forks into shreds. Add additional seasoning to taste if desired. Keep mixture warm until ready to serve.
6. To serve: Transfer about 1/3 cup pulled tandoori chicken onto each flour tortilla. Spoon prepared slaw over chicken and serve.